Compute Management Metrics
This topic describes the metrics emitted by the metric namespace
Resources: compute instances.
Overview of Metrics: oci_compute
The instance metadata service (IMDS) provides metadata about an instance, its attached VNICs, and custom metadata that you supply. IMDS is available in two versions, version 1 and version 2. IMDSv2 offers increased security compared to the legacy v1.
Use the Compute management metric to identify requests to the legacy v1 endpoints. After you migrate any applications to support the v2 endpoints, you can disable all requests to the legacy v1 endpoints.
Required IAM Policy
To monitor resources, you must have the required type of access in a policy written by an administrator, whether you're using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. The policy must give you access to the monitoring services as well as the resources being monitored. If you try to perform an action and get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized, confirm with your administrator the type of access you have and which compartment you should work in. For more information about user authorizations for monitoring, see IAM Policies (Monitoring).
Available Metrics: oci_compute
The metric listed in the following table is automatically available for your instances. You do not need to enable monitoring on the instance to get this metric.
You also can use the Monitoring service to create custom queries. See Building Metric Queries.
The metric includes the following dimensions :
- The version of the instance metadata service that requests were made to.
- The URL path that instance metadata requests were made to.
- The OCID of the instance.
- The source of the instance metadata request.
- The HTTP response code for requests to instance metadata service.
|Metric||Metric Display Name||Unit||Description||Dimensions|
||Instance Metadata Requests V1 Versus V2||Sum||The number of requests to the instance metadata service, comparing the version 1 and version 2 endpoints.||
Using the Console
- Open the navigation menu and click Compute. Under Compute, click Instances.
- Click the instance that you're interested in.
- Under Resources, click Metrics.
In the Metric namespace list, select oci_compute.
The Metrics page displays a default set of charts for the current instance.
- Open the navigation menu and click Observability & Management. Under Monitoring, click Service Metrics.
- Select a compartment.
For Metric namespace, select oci_compute.
The Service Metrics page dynamically updates to show charts for each metric that is emitted by the selected metric namespace.