Putting Data into Object Storage
The Object Storage service provides reliable, secure, and scalable object storage. Object storage is a storage architecture that stores and manages data as objects. Some typical use cases include data backup, file sharing, and storing unstructured data like logs and sensor-generated data.
Object Storage uses buckets to organize your files. To use Object Storage, first create a bucket and then begin adding data files.
In this procedure, you'll create a Standard storage tier bucket with default attributes. For details about all the features and options of the service, see Overview of Object Storage.
Creating a Bucket
To create a bucket to store objects:
Open the navigation menu and click Storage. Under Object Storage & Archive Storage, click Buckets.
A list of the buckets in the compartment you're viewing is displayed. To create the bucket in a different compartment, select the compartment from the Compartment list on the left side of the page.
- Click Create Bucket.
Specify the attributes of the bucket:
- Bucket Name: The system generates a default bucket name that reflects the current year, month, day, and time, for example bucket-20190306-1359. If you change this default to any other bucket name, use letters, numbers, dashes, underscores, and periods. Avoid entering confidential information.
Default Storage Tier: Choose the Standard tier.
- Accept the defaults for the rest of the attributes. To find out more about an option, click the Learn more link.
The bucket is created immediately and you can add objects to it.
Uploading Files to a Bucket
Object Storage supports uploading individual files up to 10 TiB.
To upload files to your bucket using the Console:
- From the Object Storage Buckets page, click the bucket name to view its details.
- Under the Objects region of the page, click Upload.
- In the Object Name Prefix field, optionally specify a file name prefix for the files that you plan to upload.
- If the Storage Tier field displays Standard, you can optionally change the storage tier to upload objects to.
- Select the object or objects to upload in one of two ways:
- Drag files from your computer into the Drop files here ... section.
- Click select files to display a file selection dialog box.
As you select files to upload, they are displayed in a scrolling list. If you decide that you do not want to upload a file that you have selected, click the X icon to the right of the file name.
When the file status shows Finished, click Close to return to the bucket.
Uploaded items are displayed in the Objects list.
For information on managing and accessing your object files, see Overview of Object Storage.