Creating an Asset Source
Use a phrase or use values as tags to organize and track asset source tags within your tenancy.
- Open the navigation menu and click Migration & Disaster Recovery. Under Cloud Migrations, click Discovery.
- On the Asset sources page, click Create asset source.
In the Asset source information section, provide the following details:
- Enter a name for the asset source.
- The path to the VMware vCenter SDK endpoint of the external environment.
- Select a compartment for the asset source.
- Select the compartment where the inventory assets are created.
- In the Remote connections source environment section, select the source environment.
In the Discovery credentials section, use one of the
- To read the metadata of assets from the source environment, click Use existing secret and select a vault and secret containing the login credentials of the vSphere client.
- Click Create secret and enter the username and password for the vSphere login credentials.
In the Replication credentials section, use one of the
- Click Use discovery credentials to continue with the selected discovery credentials.
- Click Use existing secret and select a vault and secret for discovery credentials.
- Click Create secret and enter the username and password for discovery credentials.
In the Discovery schedule section, click one of the
following options to perform the discovery job:
- To perform an on-demand or manual asset discovery, click No discovery schedule.
- To use an existing discovery schedule, click Select existing schedule.
- To create the wanted discovery schedule, click Create
You can keep asset information up to date by using the discovery scheduling mechanism as a recurring task. After creating a discovery schedule, you can attach or detach it from an existing asset source to begin or stop scheduling discovery jobs for external asset discovery and metadata collection.
In the Metrics section, select one of the following options:
- To collect historical metrics of the assets, select Enable collection of historical metrics
- To collect real-time metrics of the assets, select Enable collection of real-time metrics
- (Optional) Add tags to organize your resource. To apply a defined tag, you must have permissions to use the tag namespace. For more information about tagging, see Resource Tags. If you are not sure whether to apply tags, skip this option (you can apply tags later) or ask your administrator.
- Click Create asset source.
You are redirected to the Asset source details page after the asset source is created successfully.
Under Connections, you can view each connector to the source environment. These connectors are automatically instantiated using the discovery plugin in the external environment. The connectors change their state to active after they have verified their connection and credentials with the vCenter server.
You can now create a discovery work request.
To create an asset source, use the
oci cloud-bridge discovery asset-source create --assets-compartment-id asset_compartment_ID --compartment-id target_compartment_ID --environment-id target_environment_ID --inventory-id assets_inventory_ID --type asset_source_type --discoveryCredentials credentials --vcenterEndpoint vcenterendpoint [OPTIONS]
--assets-compartment-id: Specifies the OCID of the compartment that is used to create assets.
--compartment-id: Specifies the OCID of the compartment for the resource.
--environment-id: Specifies the OCID of the environment.
--inventory-id: Specifies the OCID of the inventory that contains the created assets.
--type: Specifies the type of asset in the external environment. The accepted value is
--discovery-credentials: Specifies the credentials information such as username and password of the vSphere login credentials. The value cannot be null.
--vcenter-endpoint: Specifies the path to the VMware vCenter SDK endpoint of the external environment. The value cannot be null.
To get all the commands for
discovery asset-source, run:
oci cloud-bridge discovery asset-source -h
To get help for the
oci cloud-bridge discovery asset-source create -h
For a complete list of flags and variable options for CLI commands, see the Command Line Reference.
To create an asset source, use the