Ingesting an Asset
Add the content that you want to distribute in the playlists in Media Streams.
Assets (content) are ingested (added) into a distribution channel and streamed using a packaging configuration. To run the ingest operation, the asset publisher must have the
MEDIA_WORKFLOW_JOB_CREATE permission on the compartment where the asset is ingested.
- Read the primary playlist (m3u8) from the Object Storage location in the region.
- Read the bucket, playlist, and any rendered files in the channel.
Media Streams can ingest only HLS playlists. To use OCI Media Streams to deliver your content, create an HLS playlist by using Media Flow.
- Open the navigation menu and click Analytics & AI. Under Media Services, click Media Streams.
- On the Distribution Channels list page, select the compartment that contains the distribution channel for where you want to ingest the assets.
- Click the name of the channel where you want to ingest the assets.
- On the Distribution Channel details page, under Resources, click Playlist Assets.
- Click Ingest Playlist Asset.
- In the Ingest Playlist Asset panel, select the bucket in the compartment that contains the content. If you don't see the bucket that you want, you might need to change the compartment.
- Select the file. This object is your HLS primary playlist (m3u8) with all the Variable Bitrate (VBR) renditions of the asset that you want to ingest. You can select only valid HLS content to ingest. If the content is in formats such as MP4, then convert the files to HLS format. For more details, see OCI Media Flow.
To apply tags to the asset, click Show advanced options.
Tagging is a metadata system that lets you organize and track the resources in your tenancy. If you have permissions to create a resource, you also have permissions to add free-form tags to it. To apply a defined tag, you must have permissions to use the tag namespace. For general information about tagging, see Resource Tags and Tagging Overview.
The playlist is created.On the Playlist Asset details page, in the Playlist Information section of the Details tab, the Ingest job status is set to Accepted. After the ingest job is complete, you can select the package name from the Packaging list.
- Copy the preview URL and play the URL in a supported browser or application.
Asset ingestion using the CLI requires a media asset ID for ingestion.
You can use the Console to view the existing media asset IDs and proceed with asset ingestion or you can create a new one in the CLI based on the HLS media in your object storage bucket using the
oci media-services media-asset create [OPTIONS]
Required parameters for the
--compartment id [text]
<use the type PLAYLIST for the HLS media>
<name of the primary HLS or m3u8 file>
After the media asset ID is created, you can ingest the asset.
To ingest an asset, use the
oci media-services stream-distribution-channel ingest-stream-distribution-channel-asset-metadata-entry-details [OPTIONS]
Required parameters for the
To get all the commands for
oci media-services stream-distribution-channel -h
To get help for the
oci media-services stream-distribution-channel ingest-stream-distribution-channel-asset-metadata-entry-details -h
For a complete list of flags and variable options for CLI commands, see the Command Line Reference.