Media Streams Metrics
Metrics enable you to monitor your cloud resources actively and passively.
You can monitor the performance of your resources by using metrics. This topic describes the metrics emitted by the following metric namespaces:
- Total Egress of data streamed and total number of requests made through a Distribution Channel
- Distribution Channel
To monitor resources, you must be given the required type of access in an IAM policy written by an administrator. You need the Policies for using the Console, REST API, or SDK and CLI. The policy must give you access to the monitoring services and the resources being monitored. When you try to perform an action, you might get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized. Confirm with your administrator the type of access that you’ve been granted and which compartment you must work in. For more information about user authorizations for monitoring, see the Authentication and Authorization section in Overview of Monitoring.
The metrics listed on this page are automatically available for any Media Stream Distribution Channel instances that you create. You don't need to enable monitoring on the resource to get these metrics.
Media Streams metrics include the following dimensions:
resourceId: Resource identifier. It is the OCID of the Distribution Channel.
resourcename: Name of the Media Streams resource. It is the name of the Distribution Channel.
srcType: Type of source. Following are the source types:
playlist: Includes the calls made to generate a primary playlist.
edge: Includes the calls made for media playlist renditions using EDGE as the CDN.
origin: Includes the calls made for media playlist renditions using AKAMAI as the CDN.
status: Current status of the resource. The available statuses are:
1: Indicates that the request is successful.
0: Indicates that the request has failed.
||Egress Data||bytes||Total egress of data streamed through the Distribution Channel (in GB).||
||Request Count||Count||Total number of requests made to the Distribution Channel.||
Using the Console
Here's how you view the metric charts:
- Open the navigation menu and click Observability & Management. Under Monitoring, click Service Metrics.
- Select the compartment that contains the Distribution Channel whose performance you want to monitor
- For Metric namespace, select
The Service Metrics page dynamically updates the page to show charts for each metric that the selected metric namespace emits.
Alternatively, here's how you view the metric charts from the Media Streams Console:
- Open the navigation menu and click Analytics & AI. Under Media Services, click Media Streams. The Distribution Channels list page appears.
- In the Distribution Channels list page, click the distribution channel for which you want to view the metrics.
- Under the Resources section, click Metrics.
- You can view the panels for EgressBytes and RequestCount metrics.
Using the API
To monitor the metrics, use the Monitoring API.