Before extending your semantic model, review the best practices and tips to ensure that your extensions work as expected.
- Prefix a custom object with
ZZZis an abbreviation of your organization.
- Suffix different objects as:
- _A = Aggregate
- _D = Dimension
- _DH = Dimension Hierarchy
- _F = Fact
- _H = Helper
- _M = Map Dimension
- _MD = Mini Dimension
- Perform all development activities in one environment that you consider as the master development environment. Subsequently, you must move the extensions from that environment to other non-production or production environments.
- When you need to create a star schema (custom dimensions and custom facts), always create the custom dimensions first followed by the custom facts.
- When you define joins in any customization wizard, ensure that the join columns are of compatible data types.
- While defining the joins, you can choose to skip the joins and proceed to the next action. This results in the step ending up in a warning state but the process adds the custom facts. Oracle Fusion Analytics Warehouse clears the warning when you define the joins later.
- Always specify the primary key and display attribute when you define the hierarchies for the custom dimension.
Multiple steps defined for the same dimension eventually lead to a constraint causing the extensions to fail. Combining the extensions into one database object and then defining all extensions using one step is highly recommended.
Best practice while adding a fact is to always set the content levels for the custom dimensions that are joining to the custom fact.