As a Database Administrator, you can use the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Database Management service to monitor and manage Oracle Databases.
Database Management currently supports the following Oracle Databases:
- External Databases: Oracle Databases located outside of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and connected to a resource in the External Database service.
- Oracle Cloud Databases: Oracle Databases running on the
following co-managed Oracle Database cloud solutions:
- Oracle Base Database Service offers single-node database systems (DB systems) on either Bare Metal or Virtual Machines, and 2-node Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) DB systems on Virtual Machines.
- Oracle Exadata Database Service on Dedicated Infrastructure (Exadata Cloud Infrastructure or ExaDB-D) is an Oracle Database cloud platform that enables you to run Oracle Database workloads in the cloud and leverage the power of Exadata in the cloud.
Database Management features for Oracle Cloud Databases are available as part of the Full management and Basic management options. The Basic management option is available at no additional cost. For more information on management options, see About Management Options.
- Oracle Autonomous Databases: Easy-to-use, fully autonomous
database that scales elastically, delivers fast query performance, requires no
database administration, and is available for serverless or dedicated
Database Management currently does not support Autonomous Database on Exadata Cloud@Customer.
For information on these Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Database services, supported Oracle Database versions and editions, see Database documentation.
Using Database Management, you can monitor single instance and RAC databases, which include Container Databases (CDBs), Pluggable Databases (PDBs), and Non-Container Databases (Non-CDBs). Database Management supports Oracle Database version 126.96.36.199 and later. For information on Database Management feature availability for database types and versions, see Database Management Feature Support Matrix for Oracle Databases.
Here are some of the important tasks you can perform using Database Management:
- Monitor the key performance and configuration metrics of your fleet of Oracle Databases. You can also compare and analyze database metrics over a selected period of time.
- Use Performance Hub for a single-pane-of-glass view of database performance, which enables you to quickly diagnose performance issues.
- Use AWR Explorer to visualize historical performance data from AWR snapshots in easy-to-interpret charts.
- Use dashboards to visualize, explore and analyze database performance metrics.
- Group your critical Oracle Databases, which reside across compartments into a Database Group, and monitor them.
- Create and schedule SQL jobs to perform administrative operations on a single Oracle Database or Database Group.
Not all the Database Management tasks given in the preceding list and the features detailed in subsequent sections in Database Management for Oracle Databases are available for Autonomous Databases. For information on the Database Management features available for Autonomous Databases, see the following topic, About Database Management for Autonomous Databases.
About Database Management for Autonomous Databases
You can use Database Management to monitor a single Autonomous Database or a fleet of Autonomous Databases and obtain meaningful insights from the metrics pushed to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Monitoring service.
To enable and use Database Management for Autonomous Databases:
- Perform the general Oracle Cloud Infrastructure prerequisite tasks. For information, see Perform General Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Prerequisite Tasks.
- Obtain the permissions required to enable Database Management. For information, see Permissions Required to Enable Database Management for Autonomous Databases.
- Obtain the Database Management permissions and the additional Oracle Cloud Infrastructure service permissions required to use Database Management for Autonomous Databases. For information, see Permissions Required to Use Database Management.
- Enable Database Management for Autonomous Databases. For information, see Enable Database Management for Autonomous Databases.
On enabling Database Management for Autonomous Databases, you can perform the following Database Management tasks at an additional cost.
|Monitor the health of your fleet of Autonomous Databases on the Oracle Database fleet summary page.||For information, see Monitor the Health of Your Oracle Database Fleet and Assess the Performance of Your Databases at a Glance.|
|Monitor a single Autonomous Database on the
Managed database details page and:
||For information, see Monitor and Manage an Autonomous Database.|
|Group Autonomous Databases that reside across compartments into a Database Group, and monitor them.||For information, see Create and Use Database Groups.|