Managing Vault Secrets
Create and manage vault secrets, secret tags, and secret rules.
Following are the functionalities performed in vault secret management:
- Creating a vault secret
- Viewing vault secret details
- Viewing a list of vault secrets
- View a list of vault secret versions
- Update a vault secret rule
- Updating vault secret description
- Updating secret content
- Promoting an existing secret version to current
- Moving vault secret to a different compartment
- Cancelling deletion of a secret version
- Cancelling delete of vault secret
Before You Begin
Required IAM Policy
To use Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, you must be granted security access in a policy by an administrator. This access is required whether you're using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. If you get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized, verify with your administrator what type of access you have and which compartment to work in.
- The policy Let security admins manage vaults, keys, and secrets lets the specified group do everything with vaults, keys, and secrets.
- The policy Let security admins manage all secrets in a specific vault in a compartment lets the specified group do everything with secrets in a specific vault.
- The policy Let users read, update, and rotate all secrets lets the specified group read, update, and rotate all secrets in any vault in the tenancy.
- For more information about permissions or if you need to write more restrictive policies for secrets, see Details for the Vault Service.
Apply tags to your resources to help organize them according to your business needs. Apply tags at the time you create a resource, or update the resource later with the wanted tags. For general information about applying tags, see Resource Tags.
Moving Resources to a Different Compartment
You can move secrets from one compartment to another. After you move a secret to a new compartment, inherent policies apply immediately and affect access to the secret and secret versions. Moving a secret doesn't affect access to the vault that a secret is associated with. Similarly, you can move a vault from one compartment to another independently of moving any of its secrets. For more information, see Managing Compartments.