Getting a Log's Details
View the details of a log.
- Open the navigation menu and click Observability & Management. Under Logging, click Logs.
- Under List scope, select the compartment that contains the log that you want to view.
- Click the name of the log that you want to view.
The log details page opens with the Log Information tab selected.Note
Retention Period can be set in 30-day increments, up to a maximum of 180 days. If you change the retention period from six months to one month, all the logs older than one month will no longer be accessible or searchable. For example, if changing from one month to six months, logs will not be available after one month, and six-month old logs will not be available.
The Tags tab shows associated tags for the log, and you can add or edit tags.
In the Explore Log area, log data is displayed in a similar manner as the Log Data on the Search page. You can apply some simple filters, such as sorting by newest or oldest from the Sort field, or filtering by time from the corresponding Filter by time field.
To view this log on the Search page directly, click the Actions menu and select Explore with Log Search. The Search page opens with the Select Logs to Search field populated with the log in the filter settings. At this point, you can perform more analysis and investigation related to this log directly on the Search page. For more information, see Logging Search.
Under Resources, click Metrics to view interactive charts for either a chosen time period (Start time and End time), or pre-selected ranges from Quick selects.
The Bytes Ingested chart (total bytes of log entries ingested) and the Search Success (number of successful search queries issued by the user) are displayed.Clicking anywhere in a chart displays a larger version of the chart. You can perform several chart actions from the Options menu (both in the Metrics resource and in the zoomed-in view):
- View query in Metrics Explorer: Opens the chart in the Monitoring Metrics Explorer. See Exploring a Default Metric Chart for more information.
- Copy chart URL: Copies the chart URL so that you can share it.
- Copy query (MQL): Copies the predefined service query used in the chart.
- Create an alarm on this query: Opens the Monitoring Create Alarm page. See Creating an Alarm for more information.
- Table view: Displays a tabular summary of the chart data. Select Chart View to switch back to the chart.
For more information, see Logging Metrics.
Run the GetLog operation to get the details of a log.