Data Catalog Metrics
Monitor the health, capacity, and performance of your data catalog instances by using metrics, alarms, and notifications.
This topic describes the metrics emitted by the metric namespace
oci_datacatalog (the Data Catalog service).
Resources: data catalogs
Measure the number of objects stored in your data catalog instance, the number of objects harvested, the time taken to harvest the objects, and errors encountered during harvest.
- A namespace is a container for Data Catalog metrics. The namespace identifies the service sending the metrics. The namespace for Data Catalog is
- Metrics are the fundamental concept in telemetry and monitoring. Metrics define a time-series set of datapoints. Each metric is uniquely defined by a namespace, metric name, compartment identifier, and a set of one or more dimensions, and a unit of measure. Each datapoint has a timestamp, a value, and a count associated with it.
- A dimension is a key-value pair that defines the characteristics associated with the metric;
resourceId, which is the data catalog OCID.
- Statistics are metric data aggregations over specified periods of time. Aggregations are done using the namespace, metric name, dimensions, and the data point unit of measure within the time period specified.
- Alarms are used to automate operations monitoring and performance. An alarm tracks changes that occur over a specific time period and performs one or more defined actions, based on the rules defined for the metric.
IAM policies: To monitor resources, you must be given the required type of access in a policy written by an administrator. Policies are required for using the Console or the REST API with an SDK, CLI, or other tool. The policy must give you access to the monitoring services and the resources being monitored. When you try to perform an action, you might get a message that you don’t have permission or are unauthorized. Confirm with your administrator the type of access you've been granted and which compartment you should work in. For more information on user authorizations for monitoring, see the Authentication and Authorization section for the related service: Monitoring or Notifications.
The metrics listed on this page are automatically available for any data catalog instance you create. You do not need to enable monitoring on the resource to get these metrics.
Data Catalog metrics may include the following dimensions:
RESOURCEID: The OCID of the data catalog instance for which the metric applies.
JOBNAME: The name of the job that ran the harvest process.
|Metric||Metric Display Name||Unit||Description||Dimensions|
||Number Of Objects||count||Total number of objects stored in a data catalog.||
||Harvested Objects||count||Total number of objects created in a data catalog by the harvest jobs.||
||Harvest Job Time||seconds||Time taken by each harvest job to complete its process.||
||Harvest Job Error Count||count||Total number of errors, if any, per harvest job.||